How to paint atmospheric paintings 'en plein air'
With Frank Eber
At Lucca, Italy
05 May - 15 May, 2023
Bring your painting skills to a higher level! Learn how to paint luminous paintings by manipulating tonal values, color and edge. In this class, Frank will share advanced painting techniques to create atmosphere, balance and unity in your work. Topics will include design and composition, color and lighting, positives and negatives, simplification of shape, and atmospheric effects. The techniques you will learn in Frank’s workshop transcend the watercolor medium. Separate yourself from the watercolor crowd and experience firsthand why his courses are so popular! Small class settings only. Please sign up early!
- Intensive painting instruction by Frank
- Best Italian food and wine during entire stay
- Day trip to Lucca , Livorno, Viareggio, Pietrasanta, Barga
- Cooking Lesson with personal Chef
- Classical concert in a Romanesque church
- Pizza Party in Lucca
- Glamorous Tuscan farewell dinner
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: The arrival day! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station. Arrival, unpack, settle in Villa , time to rest. Around 6:00pm- welcome gathering with Frank and Karolina on day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner – best of Italian cuisine, 5 course meal made by our Chef, Verbencello tutorial.
- Day 2: Home day! Recovery Day… Breakfast at 9.00am then time to relax and enjoy surrounds - first instructional session with Frank. Lunch under Pergola at 1:00pm prepared by our chef. Post lunch it is time to relax, take a walk, paint . 5:00pm open bar-gathering for cocktails. Dinner prepared by our villa Chef at 7.00pm
- Day 3: Breakfast at 7.30am just after breakfast departure to Viareggio- the main city of the northern Tuscan Riviera area of Versilia. Viareggio began as a medieval fishing village, then later gained renown for its shipbuildingupon arrival session with Frank . 1.00-2.00 pm - Meeting for Lunch on the molo for fried sea food feast, picnic at the beach with Prosecco,afterwards departure to the medieval town of Pietrasanta, known as the “City of Artists,” has deep roots in Italy’s legacy of art and sculpture.Time to shop,stroll around have a coffee and gelato ,.Back home 7.00pm. Dinner home.
- Day 4: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Frank around a beautiful old house and the valley view . Lunch at 2:00pm. Time to relax , around 4.30, the group will enjoy cooking lesson and prepare dinner for everyone. 7:00pm- opportunity for non-cooks of massage (on own cost) by our specialized masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 5: 08.30am: Breakfast, 09.30am: Introduction to Lucca, walking tour with the guide (2h). After the tour- time for lunch and shopping with a map in your hand. 2.30pm afternoon painting session with Frank on the walls of Lucca. 6.30pm- Back home for dinner.
- Day 6: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session around villa.. Lunch at 1:00pm . Post lunch it is time to relax. 3:00pm Back to Lucca for more painting or exploring. 7.00pm- Classical concert, dinner in our favourite restaurant. Back home 11.00pm
- Day 7: En route day! 8.30am - Breakfast and Departure to Ponte Del Diavolo for Painting session(approx 3h). The bridge at Borgo a Mozzano, called "The Devil's Bridge" or the "Maddalena Bridge" is certainly the most beautiful bridge in the province of Lucca, and one of the most suggestive in Italy. Many legends were born from its mysterious construction and its singular design, with one large arch flanked by three smaller ones, inspired the works of many artists. Lunch on own in Barga. Free time to explore the city. Departure at 5pm on the way back stop for Pizza Party dinner in our favorite Pizzeria.
- Day 8: Breakfast at 8:30am followed by painting instruction by Frank and capturing the countryside . Lunch at 1:00pm. Post lunch it’s time to relax. Around 4.00pm, the group will depart for wine tasting in best Bio-Dynamic winery. At 7:00pm, back home for dinner.
- Day 9: Time to explore Tuscany! 09.00am- After Breakfast a day trip to Livorno – beautiful port town known as a ,,New Venice,,. Session with Frank,afterwards Lunch in one of the local restaurants .Return home at 4.30pm. Dinner at 7.00pm
- Day 10: The last day of workshops! You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. After lunch at 1.00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your artworks! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 7.00pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a five-course meal prepared by our chef along with homemade verbencello.
- Day 11: Departure day☹ Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast, the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: 3599 Euro
A painter's painter, Frank Eber works in a direct, loose style influenced by the Old World masters. Typical in his art are color mixes and light that evoke nostalgia while remaining absolutely in the present. Frank's watercolor workshops reach beyond technique, encouraging individual expression and observing the elusive balance of forces that create beauty in painting.
All levels are welcome but students should have an understanding of the watercolor medium and of simple one point perspective.
Frank stresses a solid foundation in the basics, “…so that our focus is on creating timeless art. An emotional link is necessary in our work, as well as the connection to the vibrancy of everything we paint.”
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Frank is an award-winning artist and Signature member of the American Impressionist Society (AIS), the American Watercolor Society (AWS) and the National Watercolor Society (NWS). He is a juried Artist member of the prestigious California Art Club
Focus is on painting on location (weather permitting). Selection of subject matter, editing, value sketches, step by step instruction with lots of one-on-one time.
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com. Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details.She will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany:
- All tuition fees
- All excursions
- All activities
- Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Lucca, Viareggio, Pietrasanta,Livorno , Barga.
- All breakfasts lunches and dinners (excluding 2 lunches)
- The use of folding chairs
- Flights to and from Pisa
- 2 lunches (Lucca,Barga)
- Painting supplies