The Light of Tuscany
With Alex Hillkurtz
At Villa Sole , Lucca
20 August - 30 August, 2023
In this workshop I will teach you techniques to enhance the story you want to tell with your painting: composition, perspective, lighting, detail (or lack of detail). We will work in watercolour sketchbooks, and larger sheets, and the media will be pencil, pen and ink, and watercolour. I will show how I choose a composition designed to draw your eye into a piece. Using a quick pencil sketch to jot down spontaneous ideas, then moving to ink for rough details, and finally watercolour, I will show you how I “see” the subject on the page, and how to avoid common mistakes. I will share insights about the importance of light and shadow to define shapes, perspective to add depth, and colour to tell a story. Most of all we will have fun! You’ll come away with a sketchbook you can be proud of, full of your unique paintings and colorful memories of this beautiful part of the world.
- Instructions and lesson by Alex
- Day trips to Lucca , Viareggio, Carrara , Pietrasanta , 5 terre and San Gimignano
- Cooking Lesson with personal Chef
- Classical concert in a Romanesque church
- Glamorous Tuscan farewell dinner, Pizza Party and best Italian Food and Wine during entire stay
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: The arrival day! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station beetween 3:00pm - 5:00pm. Arrival , unpack , settle in the villa , time to rest. Around 6.00pm welcome gathering with Alex and Karolina on day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals , and challenges. Dinner home served 7:00pm
- Day 2: Home day. First session with Alex under pergola. Lunch at 1.00pm. Time to rest,swim,take walk. 4:00 pm Cooking class with Karolina-Dinner for everyone served 7:00 pm
- Day 3: Breakfast at the terrace serve 8:30am. Introduction to Lucca 10:00am - Starts at the Art store:) After Sketching session with Alex on Piazza Anfiteatro , later time for lunch and shopping on own , with a map in your hand. Meeting at 3:30 pm for afternoon session wit Alex .Back home for dinner with our Chef.
- Day 4: Home day! …breakfast 8:30 am , time to relax and enjoy surrounds - session with Alex start 10:30am. Lunch at 1:00pm under pergola prepared by our Chef. Post lunch it is time to relax , take a walk or paint. Afternoon sketching time 4-6:00pm , followed by pizza dinner-with private pizzaiolo..
- Day 5: Brekfast time , departure to Carrra -for the marble tour , later on Collonata village for lunch at ,,Lard Rock Café,, ,later medieval town of Pietrasanta, known as the “City of Artists” has deep roots in Italy’s legacy of art and sculpture.We visit the marble studio -so everyone will have a chance to see how the sculptures come alive. Around 3:30pm sketching session on the main square. Back home to Villa ,time to rest, apperitivo and dinner al fresco 8:00pm
- Day 6: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Alex around villa. Lunch at 1:00pm. Post lunch time to go back to Lucca - for session with Alex , followe by Puccini concert and dinner in our favorite restaurant. Back home aroun 10:00pm
- Day 7: Breakfast en route! Departure to San Gimignano - world famous for its architecture characterized by numerous medieval towers, hence the nickname of the Manhattan of the Middle Ages. Today there are only 14 of the 72 towers belonging to the wealthy families, despite this the view of its skyline on the hill is a unique emotion. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Arrival, session with Alex on the square , afterwards time on own for lunch , exploring , shop. Departure 5:00pm , dinner home 7.00pm
- Day 8: Home day! Breakfast 8:30am ,session with Alex under pergola , lunch home 1:00pm , time to rest . Departure for wine tasting at 3.30pm with the local bio-dynamic producer. Back home for dinner 7:00pm
- Day 9: Time to explore Liguria! 09.00am: Breakfast en-route. A day trip to Cinque terre , exploration of Monarola and Vernazza - session with Alex, time to shop, explore and relax on own . Lunch on own . Return home at 6:00pm. Dinner served 7.00pm
- Day 10: The last day of workshops! You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. After lunch at 1:00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 7.00pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine along with homemade verbencello.
- Day 11: Departure day☹ Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast (10:00am) the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: 3899 Euro
Everyone should visit Italy at least once in their life.
Make 2023 your year to follow your passion and discover the Tuscan countryside, stroll through historic villages, enjoy a cappuccino in Lucca, taste the best sea food in Portovenere , sip a glass of the best Sangiovese wine from the local producer. Wont you come along with us?
Tuscany is waiting...
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany:
• Instructions and lesson by Alex
• Beautiful accommodation
• All excursions
• All tuition fees
• All activities
• Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Lucca , Carrara , Pietrasanta ,Cinque Terre , San Gimignano.
• All breakfasts lunches and dinners (excluding 3 lunches)
• The use of folding chairs
• Flights to and from Pisa
• 3 lunches (Lucca, San Gimignano, 5 Terre )
• Painting supplies
To sign up, a deposit of 500 Euro is required.
Reserve your place now, so you don't miss out!
Contact Karolina to register : firstname.lastname@example.org