Shades of Scotland
With Alex Hillkurtz
At Scotland, UK
05 July - 15 July, 2024
Wonderful opportunity to sharpen your urban sketching skills with Alex in magical Scotland. Learn how to quickly capture the world around you in ink and watercolour. Alex will guide you around some of the most beautiful sketching spots, picking out details in architecture and nature that will help describe the techniques he has picked up over a decade of sketching around the world. Scotland is waiting for you!
- Visit small towns, castles and wonderful scenery known from the movies.
- Learn how to quickly capture the world around you in ink and watercolour.
- cooking classes with Masterchef finalist
- visit Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Stirling, Glen Coe
- Distillery visit and Whisky testing
- Local beer and cheese tasting
- Wellbeing workshops - yoga , cyanotype masterclass by Dominika from Sorores Aromatherapy
- Best British food and drinks during your stay
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: Arrival, transfer from the airport to the House. Time to unpack and relax. Traditional Scottish welcome dinner and drinks. Introduction to the workshop and schedule with Alex and the team. Dinner served at 8pm.
- Day 2: Breakfast at 9am. Warm up/ Morning session with Alex around the estate back to the house Lunch at 1.00pm followed by a cyanotype workshop with Dominika Allan 3-5pm. We learn about the history of cyanotype, how to proper paper/fabric and what type of flowers/herbs/plants to use. Afternoon full of blue art! Dinner at home.
- Day 3: Breakfast at 8.30am. Brisk walk to Dunkirk. Morning session with Alex, pick up at 12.00am-Afternoon trip to St Andrews- a stunning fishing village on the east coast of Scotland. Traditional fish and chips and a glass of white wine at 2pm. Time for a sketching session with Alex later free time till 5.30pm (pick up). You can take a walk or sketching session on the beach. Back to the house at 6.30pm , Dinner at 8pm.
- Day 4: Breakfast home , afterwards will take a stroll Blair Castle with a painting session. After returning to house for light lunch. At 3pm we will gather for a British wine and local beer tasting. Will match our drinks with local cheese. Dinner at 8pm
- Day 5: 7.30 Breakfast, day trip to Edinburgh (8.30am departure). Explore Edinburgh Castle, National Museum, Royal Mill- sketching time ,shopping time, lunch on own, home for dinner. 3 hour guided tour by David Cameron- break for a tradition ‘ale’ beer, sketching breaks. Back home for 6pm. Relax. Dinner at 7pm
- Day 6: 7.30 Breakfast, day trip to Glasgow. Stop in Stirling . Explore the Medieval Castle, the National Wallace Monument.Session with Alex ,lunch on own ,free time . Back to Estate, early evening aperitif in the garden (weather permitted). Dinner at 7.30pm
- Day 7: morning Yoga available. Breakfast 9pm. Day in the Manor Estate. Morning class with Alex, light Lunch. Time to finish on your works, Afternoon cooking lesson (4-6pm) from 2021 Masterchef finalist Jilly McCord followed by canopies, champagne and dinner cooked by the chef. Dinner served at 6.30/7pm
- Day 8: Early Breakfast 7am or packed breakfast. Glen Coe trip. We will leave the house at 7.30am. The most magnificent views of glens, lochs and Highlands! Painting session followed by lunch of pie and pint at 1pm, home for late dinner. Lots of stops on the way to Glen Coe and on the way back. Late dinner at 8pm
- Day 9: Lazy morning, Brunch at 9.30am followed by a day of painting and drawing with Alex. Will have a traditional afternoon tea at 1.30pm - Queens’s Party! with Pimm's and lemonade. Afternoon trip to Dundee . Group visit in local whisky distillery with tasting ,later time on own- perfect little town for souvenir shopping or afternoon of sketching.Meeting at 6.30pm ,back home for dinner.
- Day 10: Last day of the workshop. We will start the day with breakfast,last session with Alex , time to finish on Your works. Light Lunch , Time to take a walk , rest ,pack .In the afternoon we will create a gallery of the artworks followed by Whisky tasting with our specialist.Gala dinner served at 7.30pm
- Day 11: * Departure day . Breakfast at 8am and airport transfer at 10am. :-(
Course Cost: £4699
Visit small towns, castles and wonderful scenery known from the movies. We promise you intense but relaxing time filled with activities like cooking classes with Masterchef finalist, whisky tasting, museum visits, well-being workshops, cyanotype masterclass.. and many more!
Alex’s workshops are fun, knowledgeable and always sold out!
Our sketching tours are perfect for all levels, from beginners to those who would like to learn more about Alex’s unique speed-sketching style, or to practice sketching with ink and watercolour.
Great opportunity to visit Scotland in 2024!
NOTE FROM ALEX:
In this workshop I will teach you techniques to enhance the story you want to tell with your painting: composition, perspective, lighting, detail (or lack of detail). We will work in watercolour sketchbooks, and larger sheets, and the media will be pencil, pen and ink, and watercolour. I will show how I choose a composition designed to draw your eye into a piece. Using a quick pencil sketch to jot down spontaneous ideas, then moving to ink for rough details, and finally watercolour, I will show you how I “see” the subject on the page, and how to avoid common mistakes. I will share insights about the importance of light and shadow to define shapes, perspective to add depth, and colour to tell a story. Most of all we will have fun! You’ll come away with a sketchbook you can be proud of, full of your unique paintings and colorful memories of this beautiful part of the world.
Included in the cost of your workshop in Scotland:
• All tuition fees
• All excursions
• All activities
• Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Edinburgh, Glasgoww, Stirling, Glen Coe
• All breakfasts, lunches and dinners with wine (excluding 2 lunches out)
- Flights to and from Scotland
- 2 luches (Glasgow and Edinburgh)
This workshop is being arranged through followyoursensesintuscany.com.
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413