Tuscany with Barbara Hack
With Barbara Hack
At Villa Selva, Lucca, Italy
03 September - 13 September, 2023
Barbara Hack for 10 days will explore some of the fundamentals of Portrait painting in oils, working with the live model. What better place to study the classical art of portraiture than Italy, the home of some of the most famous art in the world. During each painting session Barbara will begin with a demo and then assist students with their paintings and provide any advice. She will teach you how to draw the face structure, block in the shadows and add color. You will learn to color mix skin tones and approach your paintings in a variety of aspects, from the initial lines to the final painting. There will be sketching sessions with models as well . No matter what background students have with oil paints, or level painter you are, Barbara Hack will assist you in learning techniques and how to incorporate those techniques in paintings. Plus, as always during Follow your Senses in Tuscany holidays you can expect the best hospitality, food, drinks and excursions.
- Painting instruction from Barbara
- Best Italian Cuisine & Wine during entire stay
- Day excursions Portovenere, Volterra and Lucca
- Tuscan cooking lesson with private Chef.
- Wine tasting in Bio-dynamic winery.
- Puccini Concert in a Romanesque church with dinner in restaurant.
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: Arrival day! ● Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station at 4:00pm. ● Arrival, unpack, settle in, time to rest. ● Around 5:30pm - Welcome gathering with Barbara and Karolina including day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. ● Dinner – Karolina’s favorite Tuscan delights. ● We will start to make our home made Limoncello:)
- Day 2: Home day! ● Morning recovery…breakfast at 9:00am ● Time to relax and enjoy surrounds - first instructional session with Barbara. ● Lunch at 1:00pm under Pergola prepared by our Chef. ● Post lunch, it’s time to take a walk, rest, nap. ● Dinner served at 7:00pm
- Day 3: ● Breakfast at 8:30am ● Artist guest spot Day with Dominika Allan divided in morning and afternoon session: o Cyanotype - learning how to prepare paper and then creating your own blueprints. A great idea to help you understand how shadows and light affect art together with o A mix of your own bath salts and creating a 'ritual bath'. The science of essential oils and how they support wellbeing. ● Lunch at 1:00pm under Pergola. ● Dinner at home at 7:00pm by our Chef.
- Day 4: ● 8:30am breakfast at home. ● Time to explore Lucca! o 2h Guided tour. o Individual time for Shopping and lunch afterwards. ● Back home around 5:30pm for dinner by our Chef.
- Day 5: Home day! ● Breakfast at 8:30am, followed by session with Barbara around the villa gardens. ● Lunch at 1:00pm ● After lunch - time to relax ● Around 4:30pm, the group will enjoy cooking lesson and prepare dinner for everyone by 7:00pm o For non-cooks, massage by our specialized masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 6: ● Breakfast at 8:30pm ● Day trip to Sang Gimignano a small, walled, medieval hill town in the province of Siena, famous for the towers and its architecture. o After arrival, time to explore on own with a map in hand. o Lunch on own. ● Return home at 5:30pm ● Dinner: pizza festival.
- Day 7: ● Breakfast at 8:30am, followed by session with Barbara around villa. ● Lunch at 1:00pm ● Post lunch excursion for Wine tasting at our local bio- dynamic winery. ● Back home for Dinner with Chef Karolina.
- Day 8: ● Slow morning - Breakfast at 9:00am ● 10:30am - Time to explore Liguria! A day trip to Portovenere – most beautiful coast town with spectacular views. o Time to explore, shop and relax on own (with a map in hand). o Lunch on own. o Return home at 5:30pm ● Dinner by our private Chef 7.00pm
- Day 9: ● Breakfast at 8:30am, followed by painting demonstration by Barbara and painting around the villa. ● Lunch at 1:00pm. ● Post lunch - time to relax. ● 3:30pm - Back to Lucca for last shopping and more exploration. ● 6:45pm - Meeting for Puccini Concert followed by course dinner in our favorite local restaurant with our friend Chef Carlo
- Day 10: ● You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. ● The group will finish their art works. ● After lunch at 1:00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. ● Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. ● At 7:00pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a meal prepared by our chef along with homemade limoncello.
- Day 11: Departure day. ☹ ● Breakfast at 8:30am. ● After breakfast, the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: 3799 €
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 10-day courses are held at the beautiful farmhouse sitting on the idyllic hill overlooking the city of Lucca. Tuscany is one of Italy’s most beloved regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance . masterpieces. Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture – along with premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea, Tuscany is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for amazing light, splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards, and beautiful old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist. As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer activities including a classical Puccini concert, cooking class with our Chef who specializes in Tuscan cuisine, wine tasting in our favorite local vineyards. These are only a few of our many close-by attractions.
For 10 days, we will explore some of the fundamentals of painting in oils, working with landscapes, the figure, and still lifes. During each painting session, I will begin with a demo and then assist students with their paintings and provide advice. A variety of subjects will allow us to approach our paintings from a variety of aspects, from the initial lines to the final painting. No matter what background students have with oil paints, I will assist them in learning techniques and how to incorporate those techniques in paintings.
A note from Barbara Hack:
I have always held a great passion for the figure. An ongoing reflection on people and their emotions, my subject matter reflects my love for figurative work and the challenge of realistic portraiture. Working predominantly in painting mediums, I aim to push beyond realism and capture resonant moments in time. The paintings pursue figures from the pasts, showing both their moods and contexts. Five years ago, I made the decision to pursue this love for painting full time. Since then, numerous galleries, including the Salmagundi Club, Rehs Gallery, Abend Gallery, and the Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art, have exhibited my paintings, as well as magazines, such as Fine Art Connoisseur and Artists Magazine. In addition, my work also received recognition as a finalist in the ARC, one of ten chosen for Outstanding Artists over 60 and most recently a top 20 finalist in Portrait Society of America’s international portrait competition. While seemingly simple momentary presences, ephemeral figures, nonetheless, still have the ability to make lasting, even shaping, impressions. Through my work, I strive to understand these figures and their ephemerality and to share that understanding with others.
I received my Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in drawing and painting after an intensive study in Europe and additional training in New York. My various career paths have challenged me with alternative contexts for figurative artistry, and in a variety of mediums, including graphite, pastels, Prismacolor, and oils. I continue to teach fine art classes and lessons during the week.
Please join me for this wonderful experience in Tuscany!
● Instagram: @barbara_hack o Link: https://www.instagram.com/barbara__hack/?hl=en
Cost of the workshop is Euro 3799
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com. Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. She will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart Email: email@example.com Web: followtuscany.com Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany:
• 10 night Accommodations
• All tuition fees
• All excursions • All activities • Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Lucca, Portovenere, San Gimignano
• Breakfast, lunches and dinners (excluding 3 lunches on the ay excrusions.) • The use of folding stools
• Flights to and from Pisa • 3 lunches (Portovenere, San Gimignano, and Lucca) • Painting supplies Travel: It is suggested that you fly into Pisa airport as our transportation for the workshop will be coordinated from there. Departure is scheduled by 10:00am. Please make sure your flight back is coordinated with departure from Villa.
To sign up, a deposit of $500 is required. Reserve your place now, so you dont miss out!
Contact Karolina to register: Karolina Lenart firstname.lastname@example.org