Experience Morocco with Ian Fennelly
With IAN FENNELLY
At Moroco, Marrakesh
26 October - 02 November, 2023
if you're yet to experience the beating heart of Morocco, it's time to treat yourself to a trip to this magical country. Join us for an week of intense urban sketching holiday (5 hours of sketching per day!) with wonderful instructor and artist Ian Fennelly. You will learnall the techniques from Ian, have a chance to paint , sketch an improve your skills and share your work with fellow artists. You will stay in a beautiful riad in Marrakech- a traditional Moroccan house with a small courtyard complete with water features that provide an oasis of peace in the middle of the hectic city. During your stay, you will also visit the enchanting Majorelle Garden, the Musée Berbère and the Yves Saint Laurent Museum. Experience the magic of Marrakech with its chaotic bustle, romantic roof terraces, historical palaces, gardens and museums - all with a touch of luxury! What are you waiting for? Pack your supplies and join us to this unforgettable experience! the lively squares , streets and markets of Marrakech with beautiful seaside art town of Essaouira!
- Learn masterful techniques with Ian Fennelly
- Discover Moroccan culture and traditions
- Taste all the local specialities
- Experience an explosion of colors everywhere you go
- Visit Majorelle Garden, the Musée Berbère and the Yves Saint Laurent Museum
- Enjoy a day trip to seaside art town of Essaouira
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: Afternoon arrival at Marrakesh airport. Transfer to the old town, walk to the riad. Time to unpack ,refresh. Welcome gathering with Ian and Karolina including day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner in riad.
- Day 2: After breakfast we walk to our first sketching session. We visit magnificent Koutubia mosque. Lunch on the square (included in price, 1,5h break). After lunch we will finishing our sketching session. Late afternoon is free to explore, shop. In the evening we will walk to the Jemaa el Fna Square- Place where snake charmers, funny monkeys, musicians and drummers gather. Traditional ‘Tea time’ on the rooftop terrace.Dinner in restaurant with life music.
- Day 3: After breakfast, we will discover Marrakech's old town walking through a maze of narrow streets in search of an old caravan inn, old riads. We learn about the traditional way of life, public water supplies and bread ovens. A walk through the souk (the largest Moroccan market) with numerous artisans and shops with colorful products. Sketching session on the one of the small piazza capturing the city life. Brake for lunch on the square (included in price) followed by second part of sketching session with Ian. Dinner in the riad.
- Day 4: After breakfast, we visit Majorelle Gardens, made famous by Yves Saint Laurent. We will get to know the second face of Marrakesh, a new city with twentieth-century architecture that combines elements of modernity with Moroccan tradition. Sketching session with Ian at the Royal theatre or Majorelle gardens. Lunch break at a local restaurant (included in price) followed by second part of sketching session. Dinner in Restaurant.
- Day 5: After breakfast we will walk to one of the riads to learn the art of local calligraphy. Session in El Badi palace, Bab Agnaou or one of the Squares in old town- location chooses by Ian. Group lunch in restaurant (included in price) followed by afternoon sketching session. Dinner in riad.
- Day 6: After breakfast we will drive to Essaouira, the former fortress of the Phoenicians. A stunning white and blue town known as the cradle of artists. On the way, we stop to meet local goats climbing argan trees. A visit to a small, traditional fishing port with Skala (a stone bastion sunk in the ocean). Session time. LUNCH ON OWN -BREAK FOR 1h. Late afternoon session with Ian followed by 1h free time to stroll through the streets of the medina with numerous of thuja wood workshops. Returning to Marrakesh. Dinner at the riad.
- Day 7: Breakfast in the riad ,last session with Ian-inside riad. Time on own: Shopping, exploring, sketching on own. Lunch on your own. Around 6.00 pm we will gather for an art gallery and walk to restaurant for final dinner in restaurant.
- Day 8: Breakfast and departure.
Course Cost: 3599 Euro
Your Moroccan Experience: Discover the best of Morocco on an adventure to awaken the senses. Like all our workshop this one is an all inclusive experience! The highest quality food, drinks, guided tours and english speaking 24h staff.
The majesty of Morocco is a feast for the senses and is waiting to be explored.
Morocco is waiting for you...
Price per person 3599 Euro
Single supplement 600 Euro
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details.She will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Telephone: +39 3455809974
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany:
- All tuition fees
- All excursions
- All activities
- Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Essaouira
- All breakfasts lunches and dinners (excluding 2 lunches)
- Flights to and from MarrakesMarrakesh
- 2 lunches
- Painting supplies