Discovering undiscovered Tuscany with Ian Fennelly
With IAN FENNELLY
20 May - 27 May, 2022
Join exceptional UK artist for unforgetable one week sketching experience in heart of Tuscany. Come with me on a journey of looking as together we sketch and discover the beautiful landscapes and cities in Tuscany. Each day I will deliver an Urban Sketching Workshop in pen and watercolour, which will enable you to tell your story, what you notice and experience, and to express your feelings about being in such a visually rich environment. My workshops are divided into clearly structured steps; from outlining the big shapes, to introducing colour and emotion, and finally going deeper into the subject to record detail, texture and pattern. They are suitable for artist of all abilities. Sometimes we pass through this world without allowing our senses a chance to really take notice of the things that surround, and what really matters. This magical adventure of creativity will fix you in the moment, and help you to appreciate through drawing and painting, how beautiful out world is.
- instructions by Ian
- Most beautiful towns exploration
- Beautiful Villa Setting
- Special selected activities
- best food &wine during entire stay
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: 20th may The arrival day! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station at 4:00pm. Arrival, unpack, settle in Villa , time to rest. Around 6.00pm, Welcome gathering with Ian and Karolina on day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner – best of Italian cuisine 5 course meal made by our Chef
- Day 2: 21th May Home day! Recovery Day…breakfast 9.00am time to relax and enjoy surrounds - workshop session 1 with Ian -Capturing the Villa. Lunch at 1.00pm under Pergola prepared by our chef. Post lunch it is time to complete the workshop. 4.00pm Departure for wine tasting at Bio-Dynamic winery in the neighbourhood. Back home for dinner by our private Chef.
- Day 3: 22th May Buongiorno! 08.30am: Breakfast, 10.30am: Introduction to Lucca, walking tour with the guide (2h). 12.30pm – 1.30pm Lunch . 1.30pm - 5.00pm meeting Ian on Piazza Amfiteatro for workshop Session 2 7.00pm: Puccini concert in a Romanesque church , dinner at our favourite restaurant. Return Home.
- Day 4: 23th May Breakfast at 8:30am, 10.00 am Departure to Viareggio, the main city of the northern Tuscan Riviera area of Versilia. Viareggio began as a medieval fishing village, then later gained renown for its shipbuilding, and is now a popular resort town. Arrival - sketching session 1 with Ian. 1.00pm Meeting for Lunch on promenade for picnic at the beach with Prosecco. 2.00pm Departure for the medieval town of Pietrasanta, known as the “City of Artists,” has deep roots in Italy’s legacy of art and sculpture. Sketching session 2 with Ian afterwards. Return home 5.30pm Dinner prepared by our Chef.
- Day 5: 24th May Time to explore Liguria! After breakfast a day trip to Portovenere – most beautiful coast town with spectacular views. Workshop session 3 with Ian, time to shop, have lunch, explore and relax on own (with a map in hand) in between the workshop. Return home . Dinner at 7pm.
- Day 6: 25th May Breakfast at 8.30am ,day trip to San Gimignano with a sketching lesson by Ian. 1h stop in Pisa for sketching session 3 of the leaning tower. San Gimignano is a small walled medieval hill town in the province of Siena. Known as the Town of Fine Towers. After arrival, workshop session 4 with lunch on own and time to explore in between. Return home 7pm for pizza festival at villa.
- Day 7: 26th May You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. At 11.00am the group will enjoy the cooking class with the Private Chef-specialized in Tuscan Couisine .After lunch at 2.00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 7.00pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Selva cuisine. You’ll have a five-course meal prepared by our chef along with homemade Verbencello
- Day 8: 27th May Departure day☹ Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast, the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: 3249$
I’ve been a professional artist and teacher for a long time; in fact I started life as a baby artist and I’ve been looking for shapes and colours in the world around me ever since.
I studied Fine Art in London and then became a Primary School Teacher. I am now a Primary Art Consultant, training teachers in creativity. I spend a lot of time travelling and drawing on location, running workshops and demonstrations.
My work focuses on the experience of being in a busy urban space, and how through art we can begin to make sense of the shapes, patterns, colours and energy that surround us. I believe that making art on location gives us a deeper understanding of the world we live in and out relationship to it.
I live in Hoylake on the coast with my lovely wife Annette and gorgeous little dog Elsa. I have two children, Hannah and Joe.
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 8-day courses are held at the beautiful Villa Selva, on the idyllic Pieve Santo Stefano hill overlooking the city of Lucca.
Tuscany is one of Italy’s most cherished regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces. Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture
– not forgetting premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise TyrrhenianSea, Tuscany is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for its splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards,
and beautiful old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist. The weather in may is wonderful, with sunny days and colder nights. The air is clear more than in the hot summer months, making for excellent views and great painting weather. Your days will be focused on sketching and painting on the daytime excursions to local points of interest where you will have your painting sessions and time to discover Tuscany. As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer cooking class with our Chef who specialises in Tuscan cuisine, and wine tasting in our favourite local vineyards. These are only a few of our many close-by attractions.
- 3 lunches
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com.
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413
⦁ Fabriano Spiral Bound A3 Sketchbook 140lb HP
⦁ Tombow Brush Pens – black and a range of greys, particularly the lighter greys – N15, N75, N79, N60, N89, N95
⦁ Fine liner pens – from 0.05 – 0.8 Pilot, Staedtler, Faber Castell, Derwent Graphik – any of these brands are fine. Have a few extra 0.1s
⦁ Watercolour pan set– I use Winsor and Newton, with a combination of full and half pans. These are the colours I typically have in my palette – though I swap them around depending on the subject and mood
Prussian Blue Sap Green \ Cad red Burnt Sienna Winsor Blue Winsor Green \ Cad Red Deep Burnt Umber Cobalt Blue Winsor Orange Raw Sienna Cerulean Blue Cobalt Turquoise Light Indian Yellow \ Indian Red Ultramarine Winsor Violet Yellow Ochre Alizarin Crimson *Always seem to have these
⦁ Titanium White watercolour – 5ml tube (for cheating)
Please note that colour is a very personal and emotional thing, and we all see the world that surrounds us with different colours. For each location and workshop I may use a different combination of colour, and the starting point may be a particular local colour. If you want to follow my colour journey fairly closely, then make sure you have the ones starred * as they usually come out to play.