ATELIER : Lucca
With Kat Ring
At Villa Selva - Lucca
26 September - 06 October, 2020
This course offers the opportunity for anyone who has ever wanted to try plein air painting in oils to do so, without having to purchase their own equipment or supplies. Intermediate and advanced painters are also welcome, of course, and instruction is catered to each participant’s needs. We will be painting daily, usually twice a day, depending on other activities on offer. Prepare to be challenged and rewarded by the wide variety of subjects which we will capture on our canvases. These will be well-thought out “responses” and “impressions”. I hand out notes of the most important concepts which I have gathered over years of studies with master painters in Europe and USA. We will work hard, but be pampered when we are not painting! Expect 10 inspiring, fun, and relaxing days in a beautiful setting with others who share similar passions.
- Outstanding Italian food during entire stay with best local wines
- Cooking lesson with Dr.Michelle (learning about Mediterranean diet)
- Painting day trip to Portovenere
- Wine Tasting in local bio-dynamic winery
- Sketching day trip to San Gimignano
- Glamorous Tuscan farewell dinner
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: Benvenuti! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport at 4:00pm or Lucca Station at 4:45pm. Arrival, unpack, settle in at Casa Fiori, time to rest and refresh. Around 5.30pm, welcome gathering with Katerina and Karolina, and introduction to our day-to-day schedule, workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner home 7pm
- Day 2: Recovery Day...Continental breakfast 8.30am time to relax and enjoy surroundings - first instructional session with Katerina presenting kits . Lunch at 1pm prepared by our villa private chef. After lunch it is time to paint, take a walk or rest. Dinner prepared by our villa Chef at 7pm
- Day 3: 08:00am: Breakfast, 09:00am: Introduction to Lucca, painting time with Kat at one of the Piazzas, time for lunch on own , Meet bus 3.30pm ,back home :relax or nap . 7pm dinner home.
- Day 4: Early painting for early birdswith Katerina 6.30-8.30am. Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Kat around gardens. Lunch at 1pm .Time to relax, at 4pm , the group will enjoy cooking lesson with Dr.Michelle learning and prepare mediteranean diet dinner for everyone 7pm. For non-cooks, massage (on own cost) by our specialised masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 5: Breakfast 8.30. Time to explore a bit of Liguria! 09:30am: A day trip to Portovenere – a beautiful coastal town with spectacular views. Paint, sketch, shop, explore and relax (with a map in hand) Lunch on own. Return home 6pm time for glass of wine! Dinner served 7pm-Pizza festival.
- Day 6: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Kat in The Gardens of Tenuta Maria Teresa ,Picnic Lunch followed by Wine Tasting produced by Rossi family, back home at 4pm. Dinner home
- Day 7: Breakfast at 8:30am, Paint all day Lucca- Session with Kat In the villa gardens,Lunch at 1 pm. Post Lunch back to Lucca :Palazzo Panner session Followed by cocktail and Dinner in Karolina favourite place. Back home 8pm
- Day 8: Stay at home day! Breakfast at 8:30am Departure to 17th century Villa Reale for painting session ,Lunch box provided. Back home 4pm, Time to relax, take a walk or nap. Dinner home 7pm
- Day 9: Breakfast at 8:30am, 9:30 Departure to San Gimignano- one of the most famous Tuscan towns with spectacular views and famous towers. Exploring on own, Lunch on own, Departure at 4.00pm. Dinner home at 7pm
- Day 10: The last day of workshops! You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. After lunch at 1pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. At 7pm pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a five-course meal prepared by our chef along with homemade verbencello.
- Day 11: Departure day- Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast (10.00am), the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: $3799
About the Artist
California-born Katerina Ring is best known for her semi-impressionistic oil paintings of Italy and Zambia: plein air landscapes in harmonious colours, and studio animal paintings incorporating graphic elements and strong design. She has also organised several Plein Air Safaris in Zambia, and has painted zebras and elephants from life in their natural habitats. Katerina says: "Life is an adventure, and luck is just being prepared when opportunities arise." In this sense, hard work, dedication to craft, and openness to new challenges has defined Katerina's life and led to her living, painting and teaching on three continents.
Katerina was a teaching assistant at UCDavis (California) in the Design Department as an undergraduate, and decades later recommenced teaching at two schools in Zambia, and in oil painting workshops for adults in Zambia and Italy.
She is a proponent of painting "en plein air" and finds that painting from life, spending hours in Nature's elements (and often harshness) enriches the artist, the artwork, and ultimately the viewer who appreciates authenticity. She feels indebted to the master painters with whom she has studied (at the Florence Academy of Art, Scottsdale Artists' School, in Germanynand Belgium) whose ideas and techniques she passes on to her students with great enthusiasm.
More about Kat's work: www.katring.com
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 10-day courses are held at the beautiful Villa Selva, on the idyllic Pieve Santo Stefano hill overlooking the city of Lucca.
Tuscany is one of Italy’s most cherished regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces. Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture
– not forgetting premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise TyrrhenianSea, Tuscany is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for its splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards,
and beautiful old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist. The weather in may is wonderful, with sunny days and colder nights. The air is clear more than in the hot summer months, making for excellent views and great painting weather. Your days will be divided between painting at home with Katerina and daytime excursions to local points of interest where you will have your painting sessions and time to discover Tuscany. As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer cooking class with our Chef who specialises in Tuscan cuisine, and wine tasting in our favourite local vineyards. These are only a few of our many close-by attractions.
10 day workshop in Tuscany include:
• Painting instruction by Katerina
• All painting supplies
• Outstanding Italian food during entire stay with best local wines
• Day trip to Ligurian coastal village of Artists Portovenere
• Cooking Lesson with personal Chef
• Lucca town tour
• San Gimignano day trip
• Biodynamic Wine Tasting
• Glamorous Tuscan farewell dinner
- 3 lunches (Lucca, San Gimigiano ,Portovenere)
This workshop is being arranged through followyoursensesintuscany.com.
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413