Tuscan Adventure with Beverly Boren
With Beverly Boren
At Villa Selva - Lucca
06 August - 16 August, 2022
In this workshop I will focus on simplification, which is the best means of planning and transforming what you see in a paining. The overall objective is to show the vast range and flexibility of watercolor and to put emotion and conviction into painting by exploring, experimenting and developing the creativity of the individual. Painting on location has benefited me in many different ways throughout my career. Although it has its challenges, it is most rewarding. It will help you to simplify shapes, understand value, and develop brushstrokes that are full of energy. We will push to try new techniques, and then develop them into techniques you can call your own. Also in this workshop, I will show you a few pieces to the puzzle that will help you see drawing as part of the painting rather than a hurdle you need to over come before you put brush to paper. As we spend our time sketching/painting, I'll push you to think of how you can create your subject with as few lines and shapes as possible. There is one rule that I have learned to be especially true: "If you want to learn to paint, learn to draw."
- Sketching instruction by Beverly
- Best Italian Food & Wine during entire stay
- Portovenere, San Gimignano, , Lucca, Viareggio, Pietrasanta tours
- Cooking Lesson with personal Chef o Wine Tasting
- Puccini Concert in a Romanesque church with dinner in restaurant
- Glamorous Tuscan farewell dinner
- Session with Dominika Allan -one day artist guest spot :creating bath salts and learning cyanotype technique
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: The arrival day! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station at 4:00pm. Arrival, unpack, settle in Villa, time to rest. Around 5.30pm, Welcome gathering with Beverly and Karolina including day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner – Karolina’s favourite Tuscan delights.
- Day 2: Home day! Morning recovery...breakfast 9.00am with time to relax and enjoy surrounds - first instructional session with Beverly. Lunch at 1pm under Pergola prepared by our chef. Post lunch, it’s time to explore Lucca! First warm up watercolor session with Beverly at Piazza San Frediano. After time on own for exploring, shopping (with a map in your hand) Back home at 6pm. Dinner 7pm
- Day 3: Breakfast at 8:30am, Departure to Viareggio, the main city of the northern Tuscan Riviera area of Versilia. Viareggio began as a medieval fishing village, then later gained renown for its shipbuilding, and is now a popular resort town. Arrival – session with Beverly , time to take a walk and shop on own. 1pm meeting for lunch on promenade for picnic at the beach with Prosecco. 2pm Departure for the medieval town of Pietrasanta, known as the “City of Artists,” has deep roots in Italy’s legacy of art and sculpture. Time on own to enjoy coffee or Gelato. Return home 5.30pm. Dinner prepared by our Chef.
- Day 4: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Beverly around the villa gardens. Lunch at 1pm After lunch, time to relax, around 4.30, the group will enjoy cooking lesson and prepare dinner for everyone 7pm For non-cooks, massage (on own cost) by our specialised masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 5: 8:30am breakfast, 10.00 session with Beverly followed by lunch at 1pm under Pergola. Post lunch,We stop for Bio dynamic wine tasting then back to Lucca for more exploring. 6.45pm meeting for Puccini Concert. Afterwards, dinner in Karolina’s favourite restaurant.
- Day 6: Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Dominika Allan -one day artist guest spot :creating bath salth and learning cyanotype technique guest spot ,Lunch and Dinner home
- Day 7: Breakfast at 8.30, followed by a day trip to San Gimignano - a small walled medieval hill town in the province of Siena. Known as the Town of Fine Towers, famous for it’s medieval architecture. After arrival, time to explore on own with a map in hand. Lunch on own . Return home 5pm for pizza festival at villa.
- Day 8: Breakfast at 8:30am followed by painting demonstration by Beverly and painting around the villa. Lunch at 1pm. Post lunch - it is time to relax. Afternoon to relax,take a walk. Dinner served 7pm
- Day 9: Time to explore Tuscany! A day trip to Portovenere – most beautiful coast town with spectacular views. Time to explore, shop and relax on own (with a map in hand). Lunch on own. Return home at 4.30. Dinner 7pm
- Day 10: You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. After lunch at 1pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 7pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a meal prepared by our chef along with homemade verbencello.
- Day 11: Departure day. Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast, the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: $3649
About the Artist
Bev Boren was born and raised in Texas and now resides in Trophy Club, Texas with her husband Ben. She is a signature member of the Outdoor Painters Society and the Southwestern Watercolor Society. She is also a member of the Oil Painters of America, American Impressionist Society, and American Watercolor Society.
Her work is primarily the result of her need to paint. Inspiration can come at any time and in any place. She is not confined to one subject area. She loves to paint a variety of subject matter as well as working in various mediums. Bev's paintings are created with things that capture her eye whether it's a still life, landscape, or capturing a person's personality. Painting is her way of connecting with the world and the people around her and sharing those experiences along the way.
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 10-day course will be held at the beautiful Villa Selva, on the idyllic Santo Stefano Hill overlooking the city of Lucca.
Tuscany is one of Italy’s best-loved regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces.Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture – not forgetting premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea,Tuscany is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for amazing light, splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards, and beautiful old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist.
As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer activities including a classical Puccini concert, cooking class with our Chef whospecializes in Tuscan cuisine, wine tasting in our favourite local vineyards. These are only a few of our many close-by attractions.
10 days painting workshop in Tuscany include:
- All tuition fees
- All excursions
- All activities
- Airport transfers and local transportation including
day trips to Lucca, Viareggio, Pietrasanta, Porto Venere , San Gimignano
- All breakfasts lunches and dinners (excluding 3 lunches)
- The use of folding stools
- Flights to and from Pisa
- 3 lunches (Lucca, Portovenere, San Gimignano)
- Painting supplies
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413