The essence of the towns, villages and countryside of Tuscany
With Dottie Oatman
At Villa Selva - Lucca
02 September - 12 September, 2021
Dottie Oatman is fascinated by the serendipitous results that occur, when she paints with watercolors. In this 10 day all inclusive workshop you can watch and learn as he shows how to paint wonderful watercolor landscapes, and towns of Tuscany.
- Barga afternoon tour with Ponte del Diavolo stop
- Day trip to Portovenere and Volterra
- Wine Tasting in local bio-dynamic winery
- Puccini concert in a Romanesque church followed by 5 course dinner in Restaurant
- Cooking Lesson with personal Chef
- Pizza Party with private Pizzaiolo
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: Benvenuti! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport at 4:00pm or Lucca Station at 4:45pm. Arrival, unpack, settle in the Villa, time to rest and refresh. Around 18:00, welcome gathering with Dottie and Karolina, and introduction to our day-to-day schedule, workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner – ,,Best of Selva,, 4 course dinner by Our Chef.
- Day 2: Recovery Day...Continental breakfast 9:00 time to relax and enjoy surroundings - first instructional session with Dottie. Lunch at 13:00 Post lunch time to relax, 16.30 Cooking Class for the group. Dinner 19:00pm
- Day 3: Breakfast at 8.30 .Visit at our friend Katinka in her beautiful farmhouse on the hills of Monsagrati for a ceramic course-opportunity to Create own souvenir plate Lunch with the Hostess 13.00 Post Lunch time for sketching ,painting in her beautiful garden .16.30 Come back home : Coctail’s happy hour with Italian snacks , Dinner served 19.00
- Day 4: 08:00am: Breakfast, 09:00am: Introduction to Lucca with the secret stop... time for exploring , shopping -with a map in your hand.Lunch on own,17:00 Meet bus, 19:00 dinner at home.
- Day 5: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Dottie around gardens. Lunch at 13:00 .Time to relax, around 16:00, massage sessions available (on own cost) by our specialised masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 6: Breakfast 8.00. Time to explore a bit of Liguria! 09:00am: A day trip to Portovenere – a beautiful coastal town with spectacular views. Paint, sketch, shop, explore and relax (with a map in hand). Lunch on own. Return home 16.30 time to swim or read a book with glass of wine! Dinner served 19:00pm with the special guest :)
- Day 7: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by session with Dottie around villa. Lunch at 13:00. Post lunch it is time to relax. 15.30 Departure for wine Tasting in Our local bio-dynamic winery after- Lucca for Puccini concert in a Romanesque church, dinner at our favourite restaurant. Return Home 22:30
- Day 8: Home day!Breakfast at 8:30am followed by painting session with Dottie. Lunch under Pergola. Afternoon Session around Gardens, 18.00pm -Pizza Party! You will become a pizza designer!
- Day 9: Breakfast at 8:30am, day trip to Volterra – a walled town in Tuscany with medieval and renaissance buildings, a Roman theater, and Etruscan sites. It's one of Tuscany's most evocative hill towns. It is time to shop, explore and relax on own (with city map in hand). Lunch on own, Return home at 16:30. Dinner at 19:00.
- Day 10: The last day of workshop! You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish their art works. After lunch at 13.00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 19:00 pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a five-course meal prepared by our chef along with homemade Verbencello.
- Day 11: Departure day- Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast (10.00am), the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: $3699
Dottie Oatman is fascinated by the serendipitous results that occur, when she paints with watercolors. She says she likes to experiment when she paints -"to discover new ideas and different painting techniques." She says, “I paint with my senses.
My paintings capture a sense of wonder and delight in the sensual beauty that surrounds us daily. I want my paintings to come alive with freshness and to sing with color and to wallow in rich shadows.”
Her art career started early. When she was only eight years old, Dottie began designing her own greeting cards and started her own company, which she called, The Crassberry Card Company. She studied art therapy and history at Colorado College in Colorado Springs,and received a B.A.cum laude in history there in 1978. Following that, she enrolled in art therapy classes at George Washington University’s graduate school in Washington, D.C., where she earned an M.A. in Art Therapy in 1982. While studying with Bernie Levy, who founded the Graduate Art Therapy Training Program there, Dottie became interested in painting with watercolors and has been exploring that medium ever since. She notes that the watercolor works of Frida Kahlo, Marc Chagall, Wolf Kahn, and Charles Reid have largely influenced her work. Dottie says she also draws inspiration from the colorful images of Mexican folk art.
In 1982, Dottie moved to Boulder, Colorado and began a career as an art therapist, working with abused and neglected children.
She also taught art in the Arvada Center’s Artstart program and art therapy at Naropa University’s graduate school in Boulder. Since2000, Dottie’s studio art business, Make Room For Art - in Boulder, has offered watercolor painting, with classes in landscape, still life,portrait, and garden painting
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 10-day courses are held at the beautiful villa Selva, on the idyllic St.Stefano hill overlooking the city of Lucca.
Tuscany is one of Italy’s most cherished regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces.Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture – not forgetting premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea, Tuscany
is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for its splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards, and beautiful
old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist. The weather in Tuscany in September is wonderful, with sunny days andcolder nights. The air is clearer than in the hot summer months, making for excellent views and great painting weather. Your days will be divided between painting at home with Dottie and daytime excursions to local points of interest where you will have your painting sessions and time to discover Tuscany. As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer activities including a classical Puccini concert,cooking class with our Chef who specializes in Tuscan cuisine, and wine tasting in our favourite local vineyards.
These are only a few of our many close-by attractions!
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany:
- All tuition fees
- All excursions
- All activities
- Airport transfers and local transportation (day trips to Lucca, Portovenere, Volterra)
- All breakfasts lunches and dinners with wine (excluding 3 lunches)
- The use of folding chairs
- Flights to and from Pisa
- 3 lunches (Lucca, Voltera, Portovenere)
This workshop is being arranged through followyoursensesintuscany.com.
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413