Capturing the beauty of Tuscany
With Kim Minichiello
At Villa Selva - Lucca
22 May - 01 June, 2021
I’m thrilled to have the incredible opportunity to paint with you in the culturally rich area of Tuscany, where you will not only capture the feeling of this gorgeous environment in paint, but also experience the food, wine and history of this region, a real gem in Italy. Each day will include an instructional session and demonstration. I will guide you through the basics to get you started on our own journey of recording your surroundings whether it be in your own backyard or on your world travels. Learn how to analyze the scene in front of you for the most appealing compositions. When sketching or painting outdoors en plein air, many find it to be intimidating because the surroundings can seem chaotic with an overwhelming amount of detail. I will show you how to simplify a scene breaking it down into basic large shapes. You will also learn proportion, fitting the scene on the page, and basics in one point and two point perspective. I will demonstrate to you how to get just the right amount of detail information needed with a pencil sketch, to allow you to go right to paint sketching more definition in watercolor.” I will also go over, color mixing, for example, how to get a variety of greens in a “mostly” green vista, the importance of paint viscosity working in watercolor, and mixing neutrals and grays. I will be working in a sketchbook as well as a larger format with watercolor paper en plein air. There will also be studio time allotted, to cover nuances of watercolor painting, help students finish work from daily outings, and for me to answer any questions or concerns you may have as you progress through the week. What better place to capture memories via sketching and painting than Tuscany!
- Sketching and painting instruction by Kim
- The best Italian food & wine during your entire stay
- Excursions to Viareggio, Pietrasanta, Lucca, Barga, Volterra & Portovenere
- Wine Tasting
- Cooking lesson with personal chef
- Puccini Concert in a Romanesque church with 8 course dinner
- Pizza Party at villa
Day by Day Workshop Schedule
- Day 1: The arrival day! Group will be picked up from Pisa airport or Lucca Station. Arrival, unpack, settle in villa Selva, time to rest. Around 17:30, welcome and introduction of the Workshop with Kim and Karolina. Day-to-day schedule and workshop plan, goals, and challenges. Dinner – Best of Villa Selva Limoncello tutorial!
- Day 2: Home day! Jet lag recovery day… Breakfast at 9:00am. Time to relax and enjoy surroundings. First morning session with Kim after breakfast. Lunch at 13:00 under Pergola prepared by our chef. Afternoon warm up painting & sketching around villa Selva and environs. 17:00 aperitivo, gathering for cocktails. Dinner prepared by our villa chef at 19.00.
- Day 3: Breakfast at 8:30am, 9.30 Departure to Viareggio. The main city of the northern Tuscan Riviera area of Versilia, Viareggio began as a medieval fishing village, and then later gained renown for its shipbuilding. Arrival painting time with Kim or time to take a walk and shop on own.13.00 Meeting for Lunch on molo for fried sea food feast, picnic at the beach with Prosecco. 14.00 Departure for the medieval town of Pietrasanta, known as the “City of Artists,” has deep roots in Italy’s legacy of art and sculpture. Time to enjoy on your own for coffee or Gelato. Return home 17.30. Dinner home 19.00.
- Day 4: Home day! Breakfast at 8:30am. 9:30am, Instruction with Kim mixing color, followed by painting session; the group will paint along the Pieve Santo Stefano hill . Lunch at 13:00. Around 16:30, the group will enjoy cooking lesson and prepare dinner for everyone. For non-cooks, massage (on own cost) by our specialised masseuse Charlotte!
- Day 5: Breakfast at 8:30am. Depart 09.30am, Lucca day trip! Painting session in morning with Kim at the beautiful Palazzo Pfanner gardens. After lunch, 2 hour guided Tour with our friend Anna. After, it’s time to explore and shop on your own. 18:45pm Puccini concert in Romanesque church, dinner at our favourite restaurant. Return home, 22.30pm.
- Day 6: Home day and optional afternoon excursion! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by painting workshop; the group will paint along with Kim around the villa gardens. Lunch at 13:00. Post lunch excursion to Barga, a mountain town surrounded by stunning hills, with a stop at Devils Bridge (Ponte Magdelena), sketch and explore on your own. Or, stay and relax around villa. Back home around 18:00. Dinner 19:00 by chef Karolina.
- Day 7: Time to explore Tuscany! 09.00am: Breakfast en-route. A day trip to Volterra – a walled town in Tuscany with medieval and renaissance buildings, a Roman theater, and Etruscan sites, one of Tuscans most evocative hill towns. Painting session with Kim then it is time to explore, sketch, shop and relax on own (with city map in hand). Lunch on own. Return home at 16:30. Dinner at 19:00.
- Day 8: Home Day! Breakfast at 8:30am followed by painting demonstration with Kim and sketching around the villa. Lunch at 13:00. Post lunch relaxing time until we depart for wine tasting in the best Bio Dynamic winery.
- Day 9: Time to explore Liguria:) 08.30am:Breakfast en-route. A day trip to Portovenere -most beautiful coast village of Tuscany with spectacular sea landscapes, well known as a land of the artist. The group with the map in hand can paint, explore, shop or relax on the beach. Lunch on own. Return home 16:30. Dinner Home 19.00.
- Day 10: The last day of workshops! You’ll start the day with breakfast at 8:30am. The group will finish the art works on session with Kim. After lunch at 13.00pm, there’ll be time to pack, relax, and rest. Later in the afternoon, we’ll create a gallery with all of your works! You’ll enjoy this with a spritz and casual spuntini. At 19:00pm there’ll be a glamorous gala dinner offering the best Tuscan cuisine. You’ll have a five-course meal prepared by our chef along with homemade limoncello. Day-11 27 May
- Day 11: Departure day! Breakfast at 8:30am. After breakfast, the group will be taken to Lucca train station or Pisa airport.
Course Cost: $3649
About The Artist
Kim Minichiello is an internationally recognized award-winning artist whose career in art and design has spanned more than 30 years. As a designer for Walt Disney Imagineering, she worked on the concept development and design of shops, restaurants, and attractions, for Disney theme parks in Paris, Tokyo, California and Florida. She continues to freelance today with Disney teaching painting workshops or Walt Disney Imagineering and illustrating menus for various restaurants at Walt Disney World. A number of her plein air paintings that were done on location at the Epcot and Disney’s Animal Kingdom parks, are featured at the “Art of Disney Gallery” in Epcot. Her design career has given her the great opportunity to live in Paris on three different occasions, live in Hong Kong, and travel throughout Asia as a concept designer during the concept design development of Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. “Traveling and experiencing other cultures is truly an inspiration to me. The places I have encountered still speak to me, and while painting I am immediately taken back to a particular place and time, recalling sites, sounds, and fond memories.”
Kim is a member of thirteen professional painting societies, a signature member of the Georgia, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Florida Watercolor Societies, and will be the 2019 President of the Florida Watercolor Society. She is also a founding member of the Orlando, Florida Chapter of the worldwide Urban Sketchers Organization. She has exhibited her work in Europe, China, and throughout the United States, winning numerous awards. She has been featured in global publications including the December 2018 issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine.
Kim is a studio painter working in a representational style greatly influenced and inspired by her travels and her love of nature. She does plein air painting regularly which gives her a chance to continuously study the natural world and to paint from life in a more expressionist manner. She loves teaching workshops and private lessons in both genres.
Your Tuscan Experience
Our 10-day courses are held at the beautiful Villa Selva, on the idyllic Pieve Santo Stefano Hill overlooking the city of Lucca. Tuscany is one of Italy’s best-loved regions. Its beautiful countryside is reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces. Along with rolling hills and vineyards, it also offers a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture – not forgetting premium wines and delicious cuisine. Set between the blue-green Apennine Mountains and the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea, Tuscany is the heart and soul of Italy. Known and loved for amazing light, splendid landscapes, charming low hills, olive groves, vineyards, and beautiful old farmhouses, Tuscany is the ideal location for any artist.
As an immersive cultural experience, we also offer activities including a classical Puccini concert, cooking class with our Chef who specialises in Tuscan cuisine, wine tasting in our favourite local vineyards. These are only a few of our many close-by attractions.
Included in the cost of your workshop in Tuscany
• Accommodations • All tuition fees • All excursions • All activities • Airport transfers and local transportation including day trips to Viareggio, Pietrasanta, Lucca, Barga, Volterra & Portovenere • All breakfasts lunches and dinners (excluding 3 lunches) • The use of folding stools
- Flights to and from Pisa
- 3 lunches (Lucca,Portovenere,San Gimignano)
- Painting supplies
This workshop is being arranged through followtuscany.com.
Karolina will follow up on all questions about the workshop, accommodations, activities, coordinate arrivals and departures, food issues and all other details. Karolina will handle all booking arrangements, all enquiries, and receive the payments of deposit and balance from the students directly.
Contact: Karolina Lenart
Telephone: +39 3455809974 or +48 880876413